Congratulations Canon New Zealand. Your company has set a new low for appalling public relations. It appears you have tried to do everything possible to stop me from writing about one of your products.
A press release arrived about Canon Maxify printers. They look like they would be interesting for readers of my monthly NZ Business column.
If your print volumes don’t justify an ‘industrial strength’ printer but you need something more durable than a home printer, Canon’s new Maxify family may fit the bill.
Here’s an email I sent to Canon’s Australian media contact:
I would like to write about this printer for NZ Business. But…
- The press release is a PDF (i.e. unprofessional to start with)
- There is no price information.
- No useable pictures
- No name, no contact number
- Just an email address which no-one seems to answer
- So I found the Media Contacts page on the Canon NZ web site.
- I ring the number.
- There are 7 voice mail options. None are for media
- The ‘stay on the line’ option rings out after 90 seconds. I tried this three times.
I hope no-one in Canon wonders why the company gets zero press in New Zealand. I wonder if you expect to sell anything.
Immediately I got this response:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
The recipient’s e-mail address was not found in the recipient’s e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
If you were wondering, I didn’t mistype the address, I clicked on the web link.